Sunday, June 10, 2012

PD all month long

   So I thought that I was going to get a nice little summer break, but I was wrong. It seems that my new school has a lot of training that I need to go to, in order to be fully prepared. Well it's for the kids, so I will have to suck it up.

    On a serious note though I am really enjoying it all week I have been at tech training, and I have to say I have a lot to share with you all. My new school is going one to one this year, yes I said it one to one, every single child with a lap top!!!!!!! WhAT?!?! It's pretty cool, since my new school is a STEM school and part of Metro's Innovation Cluster, it is really a must.

Here are some of the completely awesome web resource I learned about this week.


First up http://www.edmodo.com/ Edmodo. Think facebook, but secure and for education!!! You can post assignments, quizzes, polls, and have open discussion. Oh and it allows your students a safe network to discuss homework and other things. It also allows you to contact other teacher and ask them for advice and lesson plan help. Sooooooo, I'm saying it is worth checking out!! :)

Symbaloo
Next, Next, Next is http://www.symbaloo.com/ Symbaloo is a bookmarking system that makes your bookmarks look like apps. This allows the students a great interface that looks like the phones they are so use to seeing. Also you can search for other peoples webmixes that have already compiled great list of resources and save them. They have some great ones for common core.

Tagul. Gorgeous tag clouds
Moving on to http://tagul.com/ tagul is like wordle, but you can make your clouds custom you get to pick everything, and it is FREE. Yes the magic work is FREE.

Version 0.4
Finally, http://storybird.com/ storybird now I didn't learn about story bird at this particular training, but it is amazing. You sign up for a teacher account and them make accounts for your kids. Story bird allows your students to choose pictures and create a book. When they finish they submit the books to you. Can you say GREAT work on writing activity. Also, when the stories are complete you can purchase them to print as books if you like, it is entirely up to you.

This is not all of the source we went over, but these are some of the ones I was the most excited about. Well I hope you all are having amazing summers, and I hope that I have some more fun things to post after this weeks trainings on Differ. Instruction and Project Based Learning. As, always thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment