Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oalf....What are you doing in Science Class!!!

So to learn about conductors and conduction this year. My super cool teacher BFF, Jakil and I create an explorations for our kids. 


So here you go: 
Materials:
mini pie tins (1 for each group)
small Styrofoam plates (1 for each group)
small paper plates (1 for each group)
small plastic plates (1 for each group) We used the tops that came with our pie tins.
Candy Melts Note: *** (after doing this lab, I believe small chocolate chips will work better and they are cheaper)***
Styrofoam cups (4 per group)
Hot Water

As a side note, something I love about this lab, is if you was the stuff, you will only have to replace the paper plates and chocolate the next year. 

This experiment for me was done at the end of heat transfer unit, after a radiation and convection experiment. 
So here you go. Heat up the water while the students set up, and make their hypothesis.

Question: Which material will melt the chocolate the fastest?

I put the students in groups of four. Students created a chart to keep their data. (We talk about whether this will be qualitative or quantitative.)

The teacher comes around and puts hot water in the cups. The students then top with the different types of plates the the melts (or chocolate chips). I assign each student to one cup in the group. The students simply count how long it takes the candy to melt, and then record. (you could use stop watches if you had enough, I don't though)


After the lab, the students share out their results and we record on a class data chart, and take averages. We add in vocabulary: conductor, insulator, conduction. We right a conclusion to our lab together. Then I leave up sentence stems and key words and students write their conclusions on their own. 

Later in the week this Exit Ticket Appears, and I have to say it is one of my favorite exit tickets of all time. 

Here are some of their response! lol!!!




Well I hope you find the lab helpful. Oh and as a heads up I'm thinking of changing the name of my blog, and starting a TPT. Still thinking it through, but hopefully I will decided soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment