Saturday, March 24, 2012

Random Rotational Symmetry

Alright readers I'm back, I hope you are all having a wonderful year so far. Been applying for a special masters degree program that is very selective so that has sucked up a lot of my blogging time. Here I am though with an idea for those of you who have to teach rotational symmetry.

What I did was cut out different shapes out of card stock. (If you have a die cut machine I would use that because cutting them individually was quite the task) N-E-WAYS....so I attached it to a piece of poster board using a simple brad so that the shape can be rotated. (The poster board is one giant piece cut into four smaller pieces)



The students will rotate the shape 90 degrees, 180 degrees, and 270 degrees drawing the shape each time to find out if it has rotational symmetry. Also, if it does then at what degree. I drew the star and the lines for the kids to match up and remember where the shape started. Since I can just see them spinning and spinning. I hoping this will be great for my tactile learners. As well as my artistic students who enjoy drawing.



See this one does not have rotational symmetry.

But this one does!!!  It looks the same but if you look for the star they have to line up it is upside down. You could make yours much prettier with fancy paper and colors!!!
Well I hope you all enjoyed my newest lesson plan idea, and I hope my absence does not mean that you are no longer my readers. Talk to you all next time!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I love how you put the degrees on the board right where the turns are located. I am teaching this lesson this week. I do something like this, except I have the students trace their shape at each turn to see if it matches their orignal trace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi May:
    I'm glad you're back!
    I always love reading your posts, and this one is no exception.
    What a nice CLEAR way to teach this concept.
    (I am absolutely borrowing this next week.)
    Glad you're back... Hope you'll stay around for awhile.
    Good luck with your grad school apps.

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete