Sunday, December 4, 2011

Praying for a new computer

So my laptop is soooo old, and it has been very very sick lately. This is not good for blogging. Well there are a lot of things I have wanted to share with you all. So we will start off the week with Geometry.

First, The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns. This is one of my favorite books. I love going cross-curricular. tee hee! Well anyway I must focus. We did an activity with this book. We read the book first, and if you know anything about it on the pages it will say, "and much, much, more!" talking about all the things the different polygons could be. So my students were put into groups, and were asked to add the much, much, more to the book by thinking of all the different things that each polygon could be (real world examples) there were four groups quadrilaterals, triangle, pentagons, and hexagons. The penta- and hexa- groups got five minutes on the computer after 5 minutes without computers since theirs were harder. Here are some of the things they came up with. I was really proud of them.
BeyBlade Screw Hexagon

inside of the Star of David- hexagon

Maids apron- hexagon (this one I thought was clever)

Fire hydrant side bolt- pentagon

Superman symbol- pentagon

these are all the triangles
Sorry for all the pictures I just get really proud, and sometimes it hard to explain what they did if you can't see it.

Okay so also I wanted to teach you all the polygon song that I teach my kids every year to help them remember the prefixes that goes with the number of sides. I am a proud Power Teacher so I do gestures, but you can just do the song if you like here it is if you would like to use it!
So I will hopefully have some more post this week if my computer will allow it, and I hope you can use these!! Thanks again for following, oh and pinning my blog on pinterest you all are the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment